Tuesday, 10 January 2012

"Dimidium facti qui coepit habet: sapere aude, incipe"

He who begins is half done. Dare to be wise!

Hmm... Sorry Horace, I'm not sure about that. It looks bigger than it did on google maps!

The discussion at the weekend was productive. There's a planned date for the circumnavigation for the last week in September. I know it seems a long way off but as I can really only practice on weekends it makes it feel a lot closer.

Speaking of wisdom earlier, my friend suggested that a recce trip in the first weekend of May might be wise for me to get a feel for the conditions (the sea is in 'spring' conditions on both dates). Having seen this video made by Sea Kayaking UK of the overfalls at Penrhyn Mawr, I think this is a good idea!

The average speed of a sea kayak in calm wind & sea conditions is about 5.5km/h so to do the 120km or so in a weekend you really need to make use of tidal streams which are strongest with spring tides.

(Un)fortunately the speed of the tidal streams leads to more a more excited sea. Although some planning with the tides can be used to mitigate their strength, at some stage overfalls will be probably be encountered.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! This looks pretty insane. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can plan it so it's isn't as bad. It's just a demonstration of what real paddlers can cope with! I'd end up in the drink or worse if I was there that day probably. Shows why planning is so important though as the sea is so changable.

    ReplyDelete